So it's winter in Melbourne, dark by 5pm and though it's lovely and warm when the sun shines we are definitely hibernating, eating warming stews, wrapped up on the sofa and catching up on books we've had on our ipad for an age.
I thought seeing as I'm spending my cold evenings reading and my UK/US friends and family are probably enjoying a good book on the beaches of somewhere warm I'd come up with a suggested reading list.
After her mother dies and her marriage fails, Cheryl Strayed has nothing to loose. In this autobiographical novel she tells her tale of the decision she made to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. It's a weepy one to begin with but as the story continues you can only feel inspired by Cheryl's determination to tackle an almost impossible feat head-on. The phrase "anything is possible" rings true.
This is the story of two young soldiers fighting the war in Iraq. Kevin Powers is a war veteran who not only creates an insightful and honest story but also one full of powerful emotions, I couldn't tear my eyes away even through the horrors he describes. An eye-opening journey of a read.
The story is set in both War time London and present day, told through the eyes of a mother and her daughter as they try to uncover the mystery that hangs over their family. An easy page turner, with engaging characters that go through unexpected twists and turns.
A psychological thriller that tells the story of Catherine Bailey as she begins to start a new life while still coming to terms with her past. I'm not usually a big reader of thrillers but I was so captivated by the frightening and suspenseful storyline that I just had to know the ending. This one definitely stays with you, it was in my dreams. (Or more like my nightmares.....)
Ok so not technically a 'reading book' but nonetheless an interesting read. This eating philosophy really can fit around any sort of schedule and the science behind it makes so much sense. The recipes for both the summer and winter are DELICIOUS, no more bland uninteresting 'diet' food. Particular favourites are Red Lentil Tikka Masala and Baked Pork Tenderloin with Fennel - Yum.
Finally, this summer/winter (whichever side of the hemisphere you're in) you can't go past The Fault in Our Stars & Gone Girl... And Ben Affleck as Nick gets my thumbs-up, watch the trailer here.
Happy Reading


No comments:
Post a Comment